Department Overview, Building Permit Statistics and GIS Map


The Planning and Community Development Department has three areas of responsibility:

  • Planning and Development    
  • Economic Development    
  • Protective Services

Planning and development projects and initiatives within the Town of Rocky Mountain House are carried out by this department, as well as the economic development goals stated in the 2012 - 2015 Economic Development Strategy.

The Rocky Mountain House Protective Services Department is responsible for enforcing municipal bylaws the Traffic Safety Act and other various Provincial Statutes within Town limits. Three community peace officers often work in tandem with the municipal RCMP force to ensure the safety and well-being of residents and visitors.

Parkland Community Planning Services (PCPS) provides contracted planning services to the Town of Rocky Mountain. PCPS provides subdivision review, as well as statutory plan review for all the town’s planning documents. Please contact PCPS at 403-343-3394 or refer to the subdivision information about the subdivision process.

Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


Building Permits Stats for 2022 (as of April 30, 2023) (Click Here)


Mapping System Access (Geographical Information System).  

                        Click Below:                         

Click Here to View the Town's Civic Addressing Map


Why do I need a Development Permit?

A Development Permit is required for any new development within the town. Development permit approval ensures that the proposed development, whether a use or new building, conforms to all the regulations of the Land Use Bylaw.

How do I apply for a Development Permit?

Print off the Development Permit application form, include a site plan for your development, and submit to the Department of Planning and Community Development along with the applicable Development Permit Application fee.

How do I apply for a Building Permit?

Print off the Building Permit Application Form, include construction plans and a site plan, and submit to the Department of Planning and Community Development along with the applicable Building Permit Application fee. Permits for electrical, gas and plumbing may also be required. Below are links to these applications which are done through IJD Inspections Ltd.

How do I apply for a Business License?

Print off the Business License Application form and submit to Department of Planning and Community Development along with the applicable Business License fee.

What is my land use zoning?

Please see the town's land use zoning map and find your property on the map to determine your zoning.

Do I need a permit for a Fence?

The Town of Rocky Mountain House does not issue development or building permits for fences. If you are going to construct a fence, we ask you make sure the fence is within or on your property line, and that the fence regulations of the Land Use Bylaw are followed. Click here for a Fences Fact Sheet.

View all planning-related policies and documents here

View all current permits and application forms here

View notices of Public Hearings