Voter Information

To be eligible to vote in the 2021 General Municipal Election, you must: 

  • Be at least 18 years old as of October 18, 2021;
  • Be a Canadian Citizen;
  • Be a resident of Alberta;
  • Be a resident of the Town of Rocky Mountain House on Election Day (October 18, 2021); and
  • Provide authorized voter identification.


Come Prepared! Proof of identity and current residence is now required to be able to vote in municipal elections.

In order to vote, voters will be required to provide proof of their name and home address. 

Proof of identity and current residence is required to be able to vote in municipal elections. Any of the following documents that has the voter’s name and address on it will be accepted as valid proof:


  • Identification issued by a Canadian government, whether federal, provincial or local, or an agency of that government, that contains a photograph of the elector and their name and current address. 
  • Bank or credit card statement or personal cheque. 
  • Government cheque or cheque stub.
  • Income or property tax assessment notice. 
  • Insurance policy or coverage card. 
  • Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee.
  • Pension plan statement of benefits, contributions or participation. 
  • Residential lease or mortgage statement.
  • Statement of government benefits (for example, employment insurance, old-age security, social assistance, disability support or child tax benefit). 
  • Utility bill (for example, telephone, public utilities commission, television, hydro, gas or water).
  • Vehicle ownership, registration or insurance certificate. 
  • A letter or form (attestation) confirming that the person lives at the stated address will also be accepted as valid proof. The letter can be signed prior to the vote by any of the following: 
    • authorized representative of a commercial property management company;
    • authorized representative of a correctional institution; 
    • authorized representative of a First Nations band or reserve; 
    • authorized representative of a postsecondary institution; 
    • authorized representative of a facility that provides services to the homeless; or 
    • authorized representative of a supportive living facility or treatment centre. 

If a voter’s identification shows a post office box number as the address instead of a residential or legal address, it can be accepted as verification of current address if it is in reasonable distance to the voting jurisdiction. An elected authority could, by bylaw, require additional verification or a combination of verification to establish the person’s specific current address. 

 Click here for a PDF of Voter Identification Requirements. 


Changes to the Local Authorities Election Act will now allow provisions for vouching. A voter who has shown valid identification may vouch for a voter who does not have identification if:

  • The person vouching signs a statement/form that they know the person and that the person resides at the address indicated on the statement; and
  • Both voters meet the eligibility requirements to vote.

A voter who has relied on vouching to validate their identity and address cannot vouch for someone else



The Town of Rocky Mountain House’s General Municipal Election will be held on October 18, 2021 at the Lou Soppit Community Centre, located at 4733 – 54 Avenue in Rocky Mountain House, from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. 


Electors can cast a ballot in the 2021 Municipal Election before Election Day. There will be two Advance Voting dates: 

  • Thursday, October 7, 2021, from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. 
  • Saturday, October 9, 2021, from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. 

Advance Voting will also take place at the Lou Soppit Community Centre.

Institutional Votes will also take place at the following times and locations on Election Day:

Rocky Mountain House Hospital 10 AM to 11 AM
5016 52 Ave

Columbus Place  11:15 AM to 12:15 PM
5427 52 Avenue

Westview Lodge  1:15 PM to 2:15 PM
5427 52 Avenue

The Good Samaritan Society Clearwater Centre  2:30 PM to 3:30 PM
5615 60 Street

Park Avenue at Creekside 3:45 PM to 4:45 PM
5810 47 Ave



Contributions to a campaign cannot be made until the individual has filed their nomination papers and is an official candidate. Candidates must issue a receipt for each contribution they receive.

New for 2021 there is a limit of $5,000 per candidate during the election year. There is no limit to how many candidates you can contribute to.

You can contribute to a person’s campaign outside the campaign period (January 1 to December 31 in the year of an election), but the future candidate cannot accept contributions over $5,000 in the aggregate per year.

Only residents of Alberta can contribute to a campaign. Candidates can contribute to their own campaign (self-fund) up to $10,000 in the aggregate per year.

Organizations prohibited from making contributions include corporations or unincorporated organizations, including a trade union and an employee organization.

Any anonymous contributions must be returned to the contributor if their identity can be established. If their identity cannot be established, the candidate shall donate the funds to a registered charity or to the local jurisdiction.

Funds not belonging to that individual or funds that have been given to the individual by another individual or a prohibited organization for the purpose of making a contribution of those funds to a candidate, shall not be accepted by the candidate.


All roadside campaigns must comply with the Town of Rocky Mountain House Election Signage Policy, as well as any other applicable provincial and federal regulations.

Candidates may not campaign, advertise or influence votes in and on the property surrounding a building used as a voting station.

More information about Municipal elections in Alberta can be found on the Alberta Municipal Affairs website.