Development Permits

Why do I need a Development Permit?

A development permit is required for any new development within the Town. Development permit approval ensures that the proposed development, whether a use or new building, conforms to all the regulations of the Land Use Bylaw. View our Changes in Occupancy & Tenant Improvements to Businesses and Buildings for more information. 

How do I apply for a Development Permit?

1. Complete the Development Permit application form, include a site plan for your development 

2. Submit completed application form and applicable Development Permit Application Fee to: 

Planning and Community Development Department
PO Box 1509
5116-50 Avenue
Rocky Mountain House, AB T4T 1B2

What is my land use zoning?

Please see the town's land use zoning map and find your property on the map to determine your zoning.

How long will a development permit approval take?

Development permits can take three weeks for approval. It is important to get your documentation in as early as possible.

Where can I find out about approved Development Permits?

Approved development permits are posted in the Town Office, and also appear on our website, in accordance with applicable legislation. Development permits are also posted on-site, and notices may be sent to adjacent property owners as necessary.

The Municipal Government Act requires municipal Land Use Bylaws to provide for how notices are issued for development permits. The Town's Land Use Bylaw 2020/19 states:

 11.11.4 When a development permit is issued with respect to a decision of the Development Authority , the Development Officer shall publicize a notice of the issuance of the permit, in any or all of the forms described as follows: 

(1) Mail a notice of the decision to all persons who in his/her opinion may be affected; (2) Post a notice of the decision conspicuously on the property for which the application has been made; (3) Publish notice of the decision in a local media circulating within the Town; or (4) Post a notice of the decision on the Town’s website.

Development Permit Applications

Contact Us

Planning and Community Development Department

Downstairs, Town Office
5116-50 Avenue
Rocky Mountain House, AB T4T 1B2